From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Peter
Marquis-Kyle
Sent: 20 July 2005 11:39
To: McGilvery,WC,William,NLW171 R
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: 'Cheap' film scanner recommendations

william.mcgilvery@bt.com wrote:
> I am scanning all my fathers Kodachrome slides which go back to the
> 50s and many are in poor condition. The definition on most of them is
> not great but I am now wondering if part of the problem is to do with
> The issues you have mentioned.

Are you saying that the slides have poor definition, or that the slides
are sharp and the scans have poor definition?

If the latter, have you checked that the mirror is clean? A dusty mirror
on a Nikon LS-30 or LS-2000 can degrade the scan noticeably.

There are instructions for opening up and cleaning here...
http://www.vad1.com/photo/dirty-scanner/ls2000-cleaning/
...but you can do the essential mirror cleaning without removing the
case.

Peter Marquis-Kyle