[filmscanners] Re: NikonScan negative question (was Dynamic range question)

From: "Roy Harrington" <roy@harrington.com>

A while back I had a similar difficulty with some other scanning
software.
I found that by scanning the film as a positive rather than a negative
the software's notion of black/white points was much better --
especially in
the thin regions of the negative.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Yes, that's first on my list of things to try. I thought I'd ask first,
though, because presumably NikonScan is smarter than I am about color
negatives. However, the good news is that I've been playing with B&W
negative materials recently, so I'll get off my duff and see how it works.
The scanner + NikonScan does a good job of giving me something usable for
slides. (I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with color negative
materials, mostly hate.)

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan