[filmscanners] Re: NikonScan negative question (was Dynamic range question)

A while back I had a similar difficulty with some other scanning
software.
I found that by scanning the film as a positive rather than a negative
the software's notion of black/white points was much better --
especially in
the thin regions of the negative.

Roy

On Saturday, March 26, 2005, at 12:00  AM, David J. Littleboy wrote:

> From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> At this stage, you don't expand anything.  You set your setpoint so
> that you
> only USE the valid image data within the overall range.  Therefore,
> say,
> your scanner is 10 bits, and therefore gives you 0-1023...and your
> image
> data occupies the range of data from 233-876, you set your setpoints
> at 233
> and 876, and take THAT data and "remap" it to 8 bits.  In this case,
> it is a
> decimation, and it is rarely an interpolation, since the valid data
> region
> is almost always more than 8 bits.
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> I understand that that's the theory, but when I scan negatives on my
> Nikon
> 8000 with NikonScan, it clips either the lows, highs, or both.
>
> It gets the black point increadibly wrong, but that I can deal with.
>
> Do you (or anyone) know how to persuade NikonScan to distribute the
> range of
> values from the scan within it's actual range without clipping? Once I
> have
> that, I could scan at 14 bits, 4x or 8x, and set black/white points
> and futz
> with curves in PS (well, PWP) later. Sigh.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> davidjl@gol.com
> Tokyo, Japan

> title or body