From: "Mike Kersenbrock" <michaelk@photo-3d.com>
To: <hank5@telus.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 8:21 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Archiving???!!!

?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E5kon_T_S=F8nderland?= wrote:

> Yup, same solution here. Have your files on at least two harddisk
> spindles. The chances of both failing at the same time should be
> small.  Use 3 if you are unsure and your data means a lot to you.

For backup of stuff stored on my computer (which includes images),
I backup to another hard disk that's on *another* computer so that
if the PC's power supply blows up and torches all the hard disks that
I don't have both the original and backup blown.

As to DVDs and such, if one makes four copies on DVDs (as was
suggested for CDs) then it cuts down to something still over
a gigabyte.

As to the suggestion about labels and pen-writing on CD's,
it should be "better" on DVDs where the recording layer is
at the middle of the disk rather than a hair below the top
(label side) like it is on CDs.  There's a thick layer of that
very tough plastic between a felt pen and the active layers.

Mike