[filmscanners] RE: Sprintscan Died...Replace it with What?

Brad,

My Sprintscan 4000 developed a problem about 6 months ago - it was dropping
pixels - Polaroid wanted about $650 to fix it - I gave it to a friend to
scavenge for spare parts for his Sprintscan 4000.  I got three years of
service and many thousands of scans for the $500 I paid and figured that I
had gotten my money's worth.

I replaced it with a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED and am very happy.  The base
unit comes with a mounted slide loader that holds one slide at a time, and a
filmstrip loader that can process up to 6 images, positive or negative, on a
single film strip.  Bulk loaders are available for film strips and for
mounted slides - cost is about $500 each.  I think about buying them from
time to time, but am sitting on the fence for now.

The scans are better, and I get the job done much faster.  The unit just
seems to scan faster than the Polaroid, it has a USB 2.0 interface, and you
just insert the film strip directly into the unit without preloading it into
a carrier.

In addition, the Coolscan has infrared dust removal capabilities, which I
have found, in most cases to be very helpful without causing too much image
degradation.

The software that comes with the Coolscan is interesting, but, most of the
time, I use Vuescan (hamrick.com).  If you don't have Vuescan, I would
encourage you to take a look at it.  It has been the most cost effective $40
that I have ever spent on software.

Regards,

Patrick Florer