[filmscanners] Re: Sprintscan Died...Replace it with What?

Brad,

Well, I ended up going with Coolscan V, against the recommendations of some
who preferred the Minolta 5400.  I wanted the speed, and I wanted very good
software.  Also I thought that the 4000 dpi would be adequate for my 13x19
2200.  The color looks good until I print with preview, and then the preview
shows the color totally different with magenta super exaggerated.  And they
print just like that.
Unfortunately, I have yet to produce a print that has good color.  I should
have posted my problem before, but thought I would figure it out.  It is
likely a color management problem.

One thing I discovered was that the Nikon profiles for this scanner do not
work with Colorsync.  Colorsync Utility reports them to have "header version
not correct" and "header profile class not correct". The Nikon scanner does
not show up on the list of Colorsync Registered devices in the Utility.

Nikon support tested and verified the profile problem on a Mac in their shop
and also confirmed that their scanners are not registered Colorsync devices.
That seems weird to me. I thought support of Mac OS-X would imply support of
Colorsync.  Their response referred to Colorsync as though it were some
minor 3rd party software of no consequence to them.

Now, for all I know the profile is provided in the plugin...

Anyway, I am wondering what color management settings folks are using if
they have the Coolscan V hooked to a G5.  I am also using PS-CS.

The ICE does seem to work very well, and the scanner is much faster than my
old Minolta Scan Dual IV.

I would sure appreciate it if anyone can provide some tips on getting
control of this color problem.

Berry