[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan V vs Minolta Elite 5400

on 11/18/04 9:41 PM, Dieter Henkel at Dieter.Henkel@gmx.at wrote:

> Friday, November 19, 2004, 3:43:29 AM, Mike K. wrote:
>
>> Dieter Henkel <Dieter.Henkel@gmx.at> wrote :
>
>>> The main downside is the extremly slow speed if ICE is turned on. You
>>> can't turn off the grain dissolver which might add to this. Start
>>> scanning six slides and you can go shopping in the meantime...
>
>> Keep in mind that speed is "relative".  A 4000 ppi scanner produces only
>> a little over half as many pixels as does the 5400 at 5400 ppi resolution
>> so it'd seem twice as fast to be the same speed, so to speak.
>
> I usually scan with 1800 ppi, multi-scan off, ICE on, because that is
> enough for most of my shots. Yet it takes about 5 minutes per photo.
> Perhaps the computer makes the big difference although my old Minolta
> Dimage Elite never posed any problems (about 2 minutes per scan with
> ICE turned on).
>

>> With my 5400, ICE and grain dissolver turned on, multi-scan set
>> to 2X, and running at 5400 ppi, the scan time is about 6.5 minutes.
>> With multiscan turned off (not really needed, noise seems to be very
>> low in my unit)it'd be faster.   So be quick when shopping. :-)
>
> Yes, I was quick. I bought a Canon 5200F. The quality obviously isn't
> as good but 140 Euro compared to 590 Euro (and faster speed) was the
> decisive point for me. It has to be a replacement for about a year
> when I am going to switch to digital. Yesterday I did some comparison
> scans where I could see the difference. I can upload the scans to my
> homepage if someone is interested.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Dieter

> body

Thanks for all the replies.  They are informative, although I am still
undecided.  My Scan Dual II had to be returned when it was fairly new.
Also, some of the buttons that are available, namely the "cancel" buttons to
stop an operation, are nonfunctional on my Mac.  These are not huge
problems, and the scanner has basically done a good job, although it is very
slow.  Can anyone using the 5400 with a Mac tell me if the Mac is FULLY
supported?  I hate that when they say it will work with Mac OS, but they
really mean MOSTLY it works.  I asked Minolta, but they have failed to
respond after more than a week, so I must read that as a NO unless somebody
else can fill in the missing information.

Berry