[filmscanners] Scanning Overexposed Slides

Hi,

When my wife went on a trip to Spain, a problem with her camera meant that
most of her slides were 1-2 stops overexposed.  I have been trying to scan in
and recover some of the shots but with limited success.

Although the slides are very "thin", there is still some detail in the
highlights,
albeit very compressed.  I have used Vuescan to make sure none of the detail
is lost and then tried using curves in Photoshop to uncompress the highlights
and spread them back into the midtones.  However, I still can't get a natural
looking result.

Has anyone got any tips or suggestions on anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Al Bond