[filmscanners] RE: Newbie intro.

> Chris Aitken wrote:
> > Are there any recommendations for an older, cheaper film scanner?
> > Maybe someone has just upgraded, and wants to sell their
> old scanner?
>
> A good start would be to read the reviews on the
> www.halftone.co.uk website. Tony (our esteemed host) gave up
> reviewing scanners a few years ago, but the old reviews are
> well worth reading in preparation for a second-hand purchase.
>
> Another tip: A program called Vuescan may be the key to using
> an older scanner with a newer version of Windows, even if the
> manufacturer's software won't do it. See www.hamrick.com
>
> Peter Marquis-Kyle
> who is still using a Nikon LS-30 bought new after reading
> Tony's review

I have been offered an LS-30 (little used), with all the included kit for ~
£150.

Is this a good buy (plus I'd get to see the unit before purchase). The Scan
Dual may/maynot work on XP - I am waiting to hear from the seller as to
which version it is.

>From the reviews, the LS30 would seem to be the better purchase (especially
as it would come with the SCSi card - I'd need to get one for the Scan
Dual).

Any advice appreciated though!

Cheers

Chris