[filmscanners] Re: Minolta Multi Pro, ICE and Vuescan rawfiles

Didier wrote:

> I'd like to save the infraredchannel in step1 (64bit file) and then
> choose in step2 the right IR filter options for each picture
> (None/light/medium/heavy)
>
> I must have misunderstood something, as it doesn't work for me.

My setup is different to yours (Windows + Minolta Scan Elite + Vuescan
8.0.10) but Vuescan can save my RAW scans with the Infrared channel intact.
As it happens, I had just scanned a 64 bit RAW file the other day so was able
to use it to test for certain.  I found a hair on the raw file and selected
each of
the cleaning options in turn.  As you would expect, hair got fainter on each
output as heavier cleaning was selected.

Did you create the raw file by putting a tick in the Raw file check box or just
by
setting the TIFF file type to the 64 bit RBGI output option?  And did you have
cleaning off when you created the RAW file?

Playing around with outputting in 64 bit RBGI format from my RAW file, I
found that, if I selected no cleaning option, the alpha channel was retained in
the output file.  However, as soon as any cleaning is selected, the Infrared
channel was amalgamated and the output file had no alpha channel. This
seems reasonable enough behaviour for the gamma corrected output.

However, I wouldn't expect any cleaning option to have an effect on the
creation of the actual RAW file (although I haven't tried) but it could be a
bug.

So, yes, you should be able to do what you are trying to do!

Al Bond