[filmscanners] RE: another Sharpening question

Ëd, I can appreciate your requesting a third fresh opinion and am not
chastising you for doing so.  My response is based on the fact that clouds,
as you suggest, typically are without sharp edges (blurry and fuzzy); but
there are some types of clouds and some types of lighting conditions which
result in clouds with sharp edges and gradations of corlor or light to dark
areas.  Given the limitations of scanner and camera design, the scanner or
camera will contribute to some decreases in apparent sharpness in general.
Those images with soft fuzzy and blurry edges and tonal gradations due to
the nature of the clouds themselves or the lighting conditions may not be
negatively effected by being left without any sharpening, while those with
sharp edges andtonal gradations due to the nature of the clouds and lighting
conditions might benefit from sharpening to counter the softening effect fo
the scanner and /or camera.  Having said that, I do not see how a very mild
degree of overall sharpening would be harmful in the former case; but it is
unnecessary I would think.

Unfortunately there is no typical sky to imagine; there are typical stormy
skys, clear skys, hazy skys, skys at sunset, skys at sunrise, etc.

filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk wrote:
> From: "Laurie Solomon" <laurie@advancenet.net>
> I am not sure that that is an answerable question without actually
> seeing the various images.
>>>

> Just imagine a typical sky -- either one with cloud elements and blue
> sections, or cloudy with varyiong degree of light and dark areas
> (stormy sky).  Surely there are generalizations we could apply to
> such subjects?  I always assumed that since clouds have no natural
> "edges" that sharpening is not relevant and maybe even detrimental.
> Unfortunately, my limited vision does not detect fine changes in
> contrast or sharpness.  In a perfect world, I would try to come up
> with a single (mild) degree of sharpening to apply to all images,
> either through an action or with dedicated software.  I'm hoping the
> experience of others can lead me to a solution.
>
> Ed Verkaik

---