[filmscanners] Re: another Sharpening question

Honestly, Ed, I would make up a few examples both unsharpened and
sharpened to different degrees and ask someone who you trust for an
opinion.  I almost always use *some* USM even on softer edged subjects
because it changes the contrast ratios a bit, and defines some edges
where appropriate.  But it is somewhat subjective.

Even with skies, I find USM makes them slightly more dramatic.  What
size are you going to be printing at?

One thing I almost always do is if I know I will be heavily jpegging an
image, I pre-USM oversharpen.  This is based upon my personal taste and
experience, not any specific theory.  I just find jpegging softens
edges, and the image looks better after jpegging if the image has been
oversharped slightly beforehand.  I find doing it after jpegging tends
to over emphasize jpeg artifacts.

It may be, however, that the image file ends up larger doing what I suggest.

Art