[filmscanners] Re: Grain In scanned 35mm film

Hi Howard,

How are you sharpening the images?  Do you sharpen the RGB image or go
into lab mode and sharpen the luma channel? That method may lessen
apparent grain for large prints.  Is it possible you are oversharpening
the image.  Many of the programs you speak of use smoothing algorithms
which just counteract the sharpening process.

Do you use the threshold adjustment in unsharp masking for broad areas?
The problem is all sharpening process exaggerate artifacts.  Have you
tried backing off a bit on the unsharp masking and see if the results
might be more pleasing?  If the "grain" mainly shows up as the result of
unsharp masking processing, it might be better to lower the amount of
this rather than trying to fix the problem with another filter process.

Art