[filmscanners] RE: Device interface and Windows 2000

First are your USB controllers on your motherboard or are they addin PCI
adapter cards?  If the first, you may need to upgrade your BIOS for your
motherboard; or you could install a PCI USB adapter card in an open PCI slot
which would avoid the motherboard controllers and BIOS.

Secondly, are you connecting your deviceds directly to the USB sockets in
the computer or are you using a USB hub; and if you are using a hub is it a
passive hub or an independently selfpowered active hub.  Here powered hubs
are preferable to unpowered hubs, and direct connection is preferable to
connection via a hub.

Thirdly, are you using the latest drivers for all the USB devices and
controllers and how many of what do you have connected to any given
controller?

filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk wrote:
> I am having an annoying problem with my scanners and card readers
> interfacing with my computer.  Often, but not every time, when I turn
> off one of my devices or remove a media card from a card reader I
> encounter an alert to "eject or unplug the device" under penalty of an
> unstable system.  I would not mind doing this but in order to bring
> the device back on line I must restart the computer and, in the case
> of my Epson scanner (USB interface), I have had to uninstall and
> reinstall the drivers.  I have a 6in1 internal card reader that, once
> "ejected or unplugged", won't come back without a system restart.
> The only devices that do not cause any problem are the Epson printer
> (USB) and Polaroid 120 scanner (Firewire).
>
> Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, is there a remedy?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim Sims

---