[filmscanners] Re: Off Topic: About those USB flash memory drives...

May be off topic, Art, but the constantly expanding variety of memory
media for digital cameras is a real headache.  When I dropped my Fuji
6900 last month (actually, my cat tripped me and I fell on it), I
replaced it with a Canon Digital Rebel because it uses Compact Flash
memory media cards.  The 6900 used Smart Media and, now, Fuji seems to
have switched to Secure Digital media.  Compact Flash has been around a
while and I've been told that SanDisk will be releasing a 3 gig high
speed card in the near future.

I don't know if any of the digital cameras can be connected to and
communicate with one of the flash drives but it would be a nice
feature.  Some cameras that use Compact Flash will accept the IBM
Microdrive but I haven't seen anything about an interface that would
permit the use of a Jump Drive while shooting.

I transfer the camera image files from the memory card to the computer
via a card reader. I do not use digital camera software except for
reading the Rebel's RAW (.CRW file extension) images.  I understand that
you can read these direct with Photoshop 8.

Jim Sims