[filmscanners] Re: high-iso scanning: minolta 5400 or nikon LS-50??

Hello Art,

Many thanks for your answer.

I think I will definitely go for one of the models with dICE! I have a
lot of older, dusty films lying around and especially on negatives this
shows up rather easily. I have spent too much time just removing dust,
so if I *can* avoid it, I will, even if it costs a little more...

I have not been able to find the two other options you mention, the
elite II and the FS4000 very cheaply (or at all, in the case of the
elite 2) in my country, the Netherlands. For 50 euros more than the
Canon FS4000 I have the Nikon LS-50. For this money I avoid having to
buy a SCSI card (I've read it's *much* faster) and using the Canon
software I hear everybody complaining about.

So I guess the Minolta 5400 and Nikon LS-50 are really my two options.

> To further reduce grain, consider buying the diffusion filter being sold
> 3rd party.  It better mixes the lighting making grain edges less extreme
> and reducing dust even in images where due to film type dICE cannot be used.

This sounds interesting though...especially for B&W film. Can you give
me pointer where to look for these? Would it also be possible to use
such a filter on the Nikons?

> The Nikons will indeed have much more limited DOF, which can be
> problematical with even mildly warped films, and dICE is a must, because
> it even picks up dust and surface defects more easily than the DS II or III.

In a post in comp.periphs.scanners I have received an answer that the
DOF issue is not so important when using the film strip holder
(clamshell type) as it is when using the filmstrip adapter. Can you
comment on this? (I don't know if you have used one of the Nikons..)

Simon