[filmscanners] Re: Better DOF than Nikon?

On 1/18/04 5:35 AM, "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>

>> Some slides would require some cleanup in Photoshop, but surprisingly, most
>> look just fine except for the fuzziness caused by the inability to focus on
>> all parts of the slide. They're curved or rippled, and the cardboard mounts
>> are brown around the edges, but their color is unaffected. One of the ones I
>> sent Art had gotten really cooked, but I wanted to give him a hard one.
>>

> He certainly did, but I wasn't trying to make them look beautiful, just
> checked for focus.  On one the emulsion is burned.
>

>> I'm actually thinking about trying to photograph the slides with my 10D, and
>> am wondering what lens I'd need in order to match up the 24x36mm slide to
>> the 15x22.5mm sensor. That would indeed solve the DOF problem.
>>

> I'm guessing about a 30mm flat field macro lens should be roughly equal
> to a 50-55mm macro.  Don't know if such a beast exists, however.  I
> think it would have to be a specific lens designed for digital cameras.
>
> You may be able to get away with either an add on "front of lens" filter
> type CU diopter or some type of bellows systems, if they work with
> digitals, or even using a reversing ring on a wide angle lens.
>
> Art

HI,

A short enlarging lens would be better - reversed wide angles are
notoriously bad.  Both Schneider and Nikor lines include a short lens that
is well corrected. (and it isn't too hard to stick together a mount with old
T-mount parts and current adapters.

Brad