[filmscanners] Re: Better DOF than Nikon?

Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

> Some slides would require some cleanup in Photoshop, but surprisingly, most
> look just fine except for the fuzziness caused by the inability to focus on
> all parts of the slide. They're curved or rippled, and the cardboard mounts
> are brown around the edges, but their color is unaffected. One of the ones I
> sent Art had gotten really cooked, but I wanted to give him a hard one.

He certainly did, but I wasn't trying to make them look beautiful, just
checked for focus.  On one the emulsion is burned.

> I'm actually thinking about trying to photograph the slides with my 10D, and
> am wondering what lens I'd need in order to match up the 24x36mm slide to
> the 15x22.5mm sensor. That would indeed solve the DOF problem.

I'm guessing about a 30mm flat field macro lens should be roughly equal
to a 50-55mm macro.  Don't know if such a beast exists, however.  I
think it would have to be a specific lens designed for digital cameras.

You may be able to get away with either an add on "front of lens" filter
type CU diopter or some type of bellows systems, if they work with
digitals, or even using a reversing ring on a wide angle lens.

Art