[filmscanners] Re: NikonScan problem

"Paul D. DeRocco" <pderocco@ix.netcom.com> writes:

I've managed to coax decent "raw material" Kodachrome scans out of the
scanner by selecting the Scanner RGB color space (which disables
conversion), setting the gamma to about 2 in the Curves box, and then
setting analog gain to R=1.5, G=0.5, B=0. I'm still mystified why I never
had this problem before, but at least I'm up and running. I've also ordered
a Kodachrome IT8 target slide, so as soon as that arrives, I'm going to try
profiling the scanner with those analog gain settings.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

There's a discussion (ugly flame war, actually) going on about this on the
usenet scanners list right now. The claim is that the Nikon light sources
are monochromatic, so only measure the spectral responses of the dyes at
three points. The further claim is that Kodachrome dyes have _average_
spectral responses that do the right thing, but that the details of the
spectral response are such that there are strong valleys and peaks, and that
those valleys and peaks vary from batch to batch. So the Nikon scanners can
have wildly different responses to different batches of Kodachrome.

Sounded sensible and possible, but I've never shot Kodachrome...

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan