[filmscanners] Re: Canon's FARE

Hi Paul,

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:48:42 -0800, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

> Does [FARE] employ an IR channel?

Yes.

> But I also notice that they put it in their top-of-the-line
> flatbeds--or is FARE 2.0 in the flatbeds different from the
> FARE used in the FS4000 film scanner?

That I don't know.  I'd guess it's different, because I can't imagine
how the "IR Prescan" technique could work with reflective media.

> I'd also appreciate any feedback on the FS4000, or on the
> CanoScan 9900F flatbed when used for film or slides.

I've been very happy with mine, with two exceptions.  First, specific
to the FS4000, it's pretty slow.  A full resolution scan of a 35mm
frame, with FARE enabled, takes ten minutes or so.  Second, all 4000
dpi scanners tend to get a lot of chroma noise due to grain aliasing.
But, for half the prices of the Nikon (when I bought it) I've been very
happy with mine.

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ