[filmscanners] Re: Scanning Kodachrome with VueScan

From the comp.periphs.scanners news group:

>Subject: Re: Advise for old Kodachrome ?
>From: "Ed Hamrick" <usenet@hamrick.com>
>Newsgroups: comp.periphs.scanners
>Date: Mon, Nov 24, 2003 2:56 AM
>
>"Jean Delmas" <jean@jeandelmas.com> wrote:
>> I am scanning old Kodachrome dias shooted in 1972 (Vuescan 7.6.64 +
>> Nikon 4000ED).
>> Results are surprising : much better with GENERIC type of slide film
>> than with KODAK KODACHROME (strong yellow colour cast).
>
>It will look even better if you set "Input|Media type" to "Image".
>
>Regards,
>Ed Hamrick

He said in a later posting that this was because of a bug in Vuescan, so
expect changes in later versions of vuescan.

I don't use any of the film types, ever, as they only seem to screw
things up. I only use "GENERIC COLOR SLIDE", but I have calibrated my scanner.

For old Kodachrome, I am doing one scan at automatic exposure to get what
VueScan thinks is the correct exposure, and then (by hand) doing scans at
50%, 100%, 200%, and 400% of the "correct" exposure, and combining the
resulting images in Photoshop. I find that Kodachrome records a larger
latitude than my scanner can recover in one pass.

===