[filmscanners] RE: 16 to 8bit conversion - impact on editing

> From: Ed Verkaik
>
> After that rip-roaring 16vs8 debate way back, I had decided to keep my
> full 16bit scans, just in case.  But since we only make minor
> adjustments (most in NikonScan) and cannot foresee needing to change
> things drastically in future, I have now decided that I will save some
> space/money and convert all the TIFFs to 8bit, mainly for selling as
> stock.

If you want to save space without sacrificing quality, convert to JPEG2000,
not 8bpc TIFF. Lurawave makes a very good JPEG2000 plugin for
Photoshop--it's fast, handles 16-bit, obeys ICC profiles, has a good set of
compression options, and saves IPTC info. (It doesn't save EXIF data--I
don't even know that there's a standard way to do that in JPEG2000--but I
don't think scanner output generally contains that anyway.)

JPEG2000 is much better than regular JPEG, even apart from the extra bit
depth, so any bad taste that JPEG has left in your mouth shouldn't be
allowed to dissuade you from trying JPEG2000.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco