[filmscanners] 16 to 8bit conversion - impact on editing

Hello fellow scanners,

After that rip-roaring 16vs8 debate way back, I had decided to keep my
full 16bit scans, just in case.  But since we only make minor
adjustments (most in NikonScan) and cannot foresee needing to change
things drastically in future, I have now decided that I will save some
space/money and convert all the TIFFs to 8bit, mainly for selling as
stock.

However, there are two things we do that might or might not be affected
by this decision, so I'll ask.  Is there any difference in quality or
the end result between doing it on the 16bit vs 8bit file (4000dpi)  for
these tasks:
- upsizing, e.g. from 40 to 55mb
- spotting dust spots or hydro wires

I wasn't sure if these two tasks only depended on resolution. All other
adjustments will be made on the 16bit file before converting it, but
these two steps are easier if done later on the 8bit file.

Thanks for any advice.

Ed Verkaik