[filmscanners] Re: OT: Resizing without resampling

To my comment that "Most people recommend resizing before sharpening"
"LAURIE SOLOMON" <laurie@advancenet.net> wrote: "I do agree with your
reply; but I think that your articulation might be clearer if you had
said: "Most people recommend resampling before sharpening" instead of
"Most people recommend resizing before sharpening" since resizing and
resampling are two distinct operations which are not necessarily
connected.  Resizing without resampling only changes the effective
resolution but not the actual resolution; whereas resampling changes
both.  It is the latter that impacts on the  results of USM - not the
former."
------------------------

I probably could have explained the point better. Thanks for the
clarification. However, (and I make this point because I think it is
important, not to quibble) I think it's best to think of files as having
a size in pixels rather than a *print* size. Thus, I think of resizing
and resampling as the same thing. Changing the print size changes the
print resolution, but not the image data in the file. Thus, a
1200x1800pixel file which prints at 300ppi and is 4"x6" is essentially
identical to one which is 150ppi and prints at 8"x12". The "resolution"
bits are different, but the rest of the file is the same. I think if
folks thought in terms of files as pixels rather than print size, there
would be less confusion about "resolution".

Preston Earle
PEarle@triad.rr.com