[filmscanners] Re: Using Vuescan and a Faust IT-8 target.

On 11/05/03 7:49 PM, "Ellis Vener" <ellis@ellisvener.com> wrote:

> I am trying to profile a film scanner (a Nikon LS-2000) using a Faust
> IT-8  target. I  am slightly confused by the following instructions:
>

> 1) Set "Input|Scan task" to "Profile scanner"
>
>  2) Rename IT8 description file "scanner.it8"

The IT8 description file is what Wolf Faust calls a "charge" file.  For
example, the IT8 description (or "charge") that accompanies his 35mm Velvia
target is a file named V030303.txt.  When I used that slide to make a
scanner profile, I renamed a copy of the charge file to scanner.it8 and put
it in the same directory as Vuescan.

The IT8 description file contains careful measurements of the transmitted
light coming through each patch on the target slide when illuminated under
controlled conditions.  Vuescan reads the data in the IT8 description file,
compares them with the results from your scanner's measurements of each
patch, and then builds the profile (which is essentially a calibration
table).

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>