[filmscanners] RE: Ink-jet Print File Resolution; was: Pixels andPrints

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Ink-jet Print File Resolution; was: Pixels andPrints
  • From: "Paul D. DeRocco" <pderocco@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:32:37 -0700

> From: Arthur Entlich
>
> If one sends the printer a 720 dpi file, does it not alter the file to
> create the dithering patterns, etc?  In other words, does providing a
> 720 dpi file prevent up and down sampling and the "damage" the printer
> driver/spooler might cause to the image file?

Well, of course the driver still does the dithering algorithm. However, its
resampling to 720ppi will be a null operation, meaning that it won't create
any additional artifacts. In my view, it's worth explicitly resampling in PS
to 720 or some submultiple only on images that you discover have visible
aliasing or moire, which in my experience is pretty rare.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco