[filmscanners] RE: connecting scanner to computer

>Can I anticipate that most SCSI cards will be compatible with Mandrake
Linux?

I would think that this would depend primarily on the availability of
drivers for the SCSI card you get and use and if they support Mandrake
Linux.  Tou willneed to check the different manufacturers of SCSI cards and
see if they have cards that support that OS and will work in the slots of
your motherboard.

> Is this a significant consideration when chosing between a 3 ft and 6 ft
SCSI cable, or is it
> only important for longer distances?

I believe that most SCSI setups will take a recommended total cable distance
of 18 feet to 24 feet ( that is the distance for the whole daisey chain and
not just per device in a chain).  Thus, 3 or 6 feet will make little
difference if it is the only device connected to the SCSI card.

>get a SCSI to firewire converter and connect it with a firewire cable.

Converters are a nice idea but in practice aqre not always what they are
cracked up to be.  You need to know if the converted and its software
drivers support and are supported by Mandrake Linux, if the particular
converter in question will work with not only the type of SCSI you plan to
use or are required to use but the device in question, if the converter will
result in a major loss in speed, etc.  Converter adapters tend to be
expensive (if other converter adapters are any indication, a firewire to
SCSI or SCSI to firewire converter adapter may rune you as much as $100 or
more).

>I have a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 scanner, and need to connect it to my
new computer, which runs Mandrake Linux 9.1 and Windows 2000.

The real question here is if the SprintScan 4000 scanner has drivers
available that will allow it to work as a device regardless of the type of
connection with Mandrake Linux?  Windows 2000, win XP, and even Win 98 all
have Twain drivers available from Microsoft or Polaroid which will support
operation of the scanner so that OS may not be as much of a problem as the
Linux OS.