[filmscanners] Re: Was: Canon A70 Now: OT requests

Sorry if this additional public reply further irritates some.

It is rather obvious that there are several philosophies about internet
lists at play here, and each have their valid points.

Many active members of lists I have been on are strong believers in the
idea of an internet list being a community.  The concept is that people
who participate tend to know one another and although the main intent is
to continue discussion in a narrow area, at times people may ask about
information outside of that realm.

This model assumes people are multi-faceted resources with knowledge and
information, and sentiments beyond the narrow subject matter of an
internet list.  It says that on some level people may respect the
opinion of people in more areas than the one the group mainly deals with.

These side issues rarely overwhelm the main traffic, and are of little
consequence to those who are not interested.  Heck, many "valid"
subjects at any one time will bore someone to tears.

Others, and apparently you fit into this group, believe in strict
subject control of internet groups.  It certainly, if it was truly
controllable, make for less traffic, very exacting subject matter that
was always "on track",  probably less participants, less awareness of
the wider human elements of other list members, and a rather dry set of
discussions.

Some people simply don't want to know anything about their car mechanic
other than if he does good repair, and how much he charges, and for
them, that's enough.  Others may know how many kids he/she has, if
his/her mother has been ill recently, what his/her personal politics
might be, etc.  Comes down to different styles, I guess.

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-- Lazarus Long, Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love"

Art