[filmscanners] Re: Why DSLR ouput looks sharper?

"Johnny Johnson" <jjohnso4@comcast.net>
At 07:10 PM 9/12/03 -0600, Berry Ives wrote:

>I notice that there have been no comments at all on the new Olympus E-1
>DSLR.  I guess it is too early for folks to have any experience with it.
>They have an interesting take on digital, that the light hitting the chip
>should be coming in perpendicularly, and not obliquely:  film grain is fine
>with oblique light, but chips are not, they say.

So they say. One wide angle comparison, film vs. 1DS using the same lens, I
saw had the 1Ds being a lot sharper and recording a lot more detail than the
film, although that may be more a matter of film flatness than anything
else.

Since all the wide angle lenses for 35mm film SLRs are already radical
retrofocus designs, they're already as good as it could possibly get in this
regard anyway.

So it sounds like marketing-speak snake oil to me.

>  So they built the camera
>"from the ground up" as they said, optimized for digital and not trying to
>use 35mm lenses.  Anyone bought it yet?

Hi Berry,

It's not on the market yet.  I believe the release date is a few weeks away.

It's on display in Tokyo. Seems a nice solid well-built SLR not a whole lot
different from a D100 or 10D. The 1Ds, on the other hand, has a much better
viewfinder (a real joy to look through) than any of the affordable cameras,
but makes my Mamiya 645 ProTL feel like an Olympus PenF by comparison. An
amazingly heavy, awkward, bulky camera.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan