[filmscanners] Re: Archiving scans - DVD vs CD

Mike Brown wrote:

 > He was very honest in making clear that this was a projected value
based on
 > extended temperature, pressure & humidity storage.

What else could he say??? "well. we were actually finalizing this
technology back in the year 1899, and we've been secretly testing the
disks since then, and they were just fine until a couple of years ago,
when the data started to become damaged and error prone" ???

Any longevity claims of any length are based upon accelerated aging
methods, which, as "good" as they may be (its all we have) may be very
far off in either direction.

"Based upon our testing using 400 degree F conditions, to simulate heat
damage over many years, we have determined these disks will melt after
75 years" That's the problem with these tests, the only real method to
test for age related changes is be letting things age.  Any other method
makes a lot of assumptions.

Art