[filmscanners] RE: Why DSLR ouput looks sharper?

> From: Nagaraj, Ramesh
>
>  Take a picture using 6MP DSLR at full resolution. Also scan a slide
>  using 4000dpi scanner. Open both image files in Adobe and
> observe at 100%.
>
>  Image from DSLR looks to have sharper edges compared to scanner output.
>  What is the reason for this?
>  Is it because of in-built sharpening of DSLR?

Partly, and I usually turn it down because I don't like it. But also 4000dpi
is higher resolution than any digicam, so you should expect softer images
when viewing at one screen pixel per image pixel. On top of that, some slide
scanners have trouble getting good focus from center to edge, because of the
curvature of the slide.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco