[filmscanners] Re: File sizes (was RE: Bad News on CD longevity)

Right now, migrating from film to DSLR certainly means smaller file sizes; with
film you
end up storing a lot of noise along with your image. From the samples I've seen
I think my
6x9 film has 150%-200% the information in a 1Ds file, but it uses nearly
700mb(16bit, 4000
dpi scan) to store it, vs. 63mb for the 1Ds. But migrating from last week's to
this week's
DSLR will certainly increase your file size. And of course, for many people,
migrating to
digital means a LOT more images shot.