[filmscanners] RE: Colour management on Negatives

I hate to keep rehashing this.  I may be juswt a matter of language; but on
the other hand, it may be a substancive matter.

>Therefore that would give me a profile to use in Photoshop for Fuji Superia
>200 and that specific Minolta dimage scan elite 5400.

It will not give you a profile to use in Photoshop for the film; it will
give you a standardized target to use as the basis for correction.  What the
lady will be photographing is a target not a profile ( a color profile - for
purposes of color management - is a data file that contains a
characterization of the color space it is characterizing).  The film that
you scan furnishes a film based rendering of that target; and the file that
you export to Photoshop will be an image file containing data about the
captured target file image which will enable it to be reconstituted
digitally in digital applications or by digital devices.  It is very
possible that the exported scanner file may be tagged with a device color
profile that characterizes the color space that the scanner works in or some
standardized color profile such as sRGB as opposed to exporting a file of
raw color values alone.   If this is the case the color values of the
captured image file as rendered within that profiled space will be exported
to Photoshop, which may convert from that profile to some other working
color space profile like Adobe RGB 1998. But in any case the target is not
the profile nor does it provide a profile to use in Photoshop that would be
any different from what the scanner would have exported using any image.

Furthermore, the orange mask does not react differently in changing lighting
conditions; it reacts the same for all lighing conditions .  Different kinds
of orange masks will react differently from one another; but the same kind
of orange mask will react the same.  The film emulsion may react differently
to different lighting conditions; but that is a separate issue from the
orange mask.  Different shades of orange masking or different colors of
masking will interact differently with the colors defined on the color film
in negative such as to effect the positive rendering of those colors when
reversed since you would no longer be dealing with the reversal of pure
colors but with the reversal of colors contaminated by the mask's color.