[filmscanners] Re: New Fuji Films

It has been brought to my attention that my response (below) to Frank's
"first take" of the new Velvia may have been misinterpreted to imply I
hadn't taken Frank's description very seriously.

That was not my intent.  My lighthearted reply was not belittling of
Franks mini-review, but a comment on what I find is a problem with these
high saturated films, based upon Frank's experience.

What I somewhat liked about Velvia 50 was that it's contrast and color
saturation tended to take drab, overcast lighting and make it more
interesting, by adding contrast and saturation, as if the lighting had
been "better" for color imaging at the time.  The problem I found with
Velvia 50 was that it was a catch 22.  While it did what I wanted in low
lighting, it was too slow for handheld work in that lighting most of the
time.

Once it got more bright out, I found it become untamed in color and
contrast, which is when it was also best to work with, as a slower film.

When Frank described the new Velvia 100F as tending to reproduce gray
and overcast settings as "washed out" and with lower contrast than the
Velvia 50, while the film hyped up the color in brighter setting, that
was basically the opposite of what I'm looking for in a high saturation
film, thus my comment "that's "interesting" Ahem".  It was directed
toward Frank's experience with the film, not toward Frank's review.

I hope this clears up any potential misunderstanding in this regard.

Art