[filmscanners] Re: New Fuji Films

Personally, as much as I like punchy color in film (and I do), I think
we are deceiving ourselves in thinking that it is "accurate" as a
portrayal.  I honestly think this is a remnant of the '60 and the
"ahem", mind-altering substances we used (as a group) which increased
out serotonin levels and made us think black light fluorescent colors
were "natural".

I look at my Kodachromes and they used to seem to accurately capture the
colors of the "real" world.  Now I look at them (and they have been dark
stored and have not faded) and when I compare them to current film
stocks they look downright "drab".

Even the new filmstocks often end up further color saturated when they
go to my computer and printer. Yes, I like those colors a-popping, but I
do also recognize that its because I miss those good ol' acid days, not
because that's how nature looks. Also, as we age, our lenses yellow and
become less able to pick up the blue range of the spectrum, so we tend
to select films that exaggerate these areas of the spectrum.

You know those "older" people wearing purple clothes and blue hair...
they don't know it, in most cases. They think they are wearing earth
tones, and neutral white gray hair.  The blue is there to counteract the
yellowing of their vision.  Just ask anyone who had cataract surgery and
had uncolored lenses installed rather than yellow ones.  They often end
up tossing half their wardrobe and changing their hair color.

Many ophthalmologists won't even give elderly people clear lenses during
a cataract replacement because the person finds it either too shocking
or can't cope with the imbalance of one eye to the other, if one is
changed at a time.

Art