[filmscanners] RE: 3 Newbie questions

First, I would contact the author before I do anything and ask them to
contact the publisher or the press and find out what sorts of file format
and resolution they require; what color space RGB and/or CYMK they will
accept or would bewilling to accept and work with in a pinch; if they can
accept RGB image files, do they need a tagged profile and if so what working
color space would they prefer; and if they want CYMK, what SWOP standard do
they use.

I would  have color corrected copy transpaencies made of the images/slides
that you intend to furnish them and send them those.  Let them scan them in
and do the pre-press work ( especially since you are not the familiar with
doing this sort of work).   If you decide that you want to do the color
corections yourself, you can always scan in the slides, color correct them
in Photoshop, and have them output to a film recorder at a local custom
professional lab or service bureau where the files will be printed to film.
Just make sure that the film recorder is a high quality one capable of doing
more than business graphics  or presentation power point quality slides.  If
you choose to use the files created by the graphis artist and find them
acceptible with respect to color, resolution, saturation, contrast,sizing,
and the like, you can take them to a service bureau or custom Professional
film lab and have them printed by a film recorder to 35mm slide film
resulting in 35mm slide hard copies.  Most film resoders have software which
will convert inputted RGB TIFF files with the proper image sizing
proportional to that of a 35mm frame and with a resolution of 300 dpi and up
with or without an embedded or tagged profile to what the film recorder
requires to produce the slide.

Any suggested changes or recomendations would be dependent on what
information you get from the author.  Without that sort of information, you
cannot make a rational decision on what sorts of changes should or should
not be made to your Photoshop settings.

>And if it's not too much trouble, can you explain how I would do what
>you said in the quote below.

You can convert any imported image file from the color space it has to a
selected working color space or assign a specified color profile to be
embedded with that file in Photoshop by going to the Image\Mode menu in
Photoshop and clicking on Convert to Profile or Assign Profile.  By clicking
on these items, a drop-down box will appear that gives a list of working
color spaces ( i.e., sRGB, Adobe RGB, Adobe RGB 1998,ColorMatch RGB,CIE RBG,
L*A*B, etc) as well as some monitor and printer device profiles.  The
"Convert to Profile" option includes the CYMK standards in its drop-down
list which the "Assign Profile" does not seem to include.  What I am not
sure about is if all the CYMK standards are installed by default when one
installs Photoshop or if one has to go to the CD and install them manually
as an oiptional element.