[filmscanners] RE: 3 Newbie questions

Many thanks Laurie for the detailed explanations. It is much more
than I expected and helps a lot but also makes me realize that I am
way, waaaaaay over my head.

Nevertheless, I still need to send some images to an author in China
who has requested them for a book he is writing. It seems now, that
it's best that I send him slides wherever possible. Unfortunately
however, some of my old slides are off-color, and those I was
planning to send as digital images.

It turns out that the graphic designer I had hired to color correct
the slides, had always worked in a shop where someone else looked
after all the hardware and  the software, so she hadn't set any of
the preferences. She's gone now, and I just checked  the Photoshop 6
preference settings on the computer that she had been using. The
Color Settings were left at "Web Graphics Defaults" with RGB set at
"sRBG IEC61966-21".

The book will probably be published in China,  so for the badly
off-color slides that were scanned and color corrected by the graphic
designer, should I re-set the preferences to "US Prepress Defaults",
"Japan Prepress Defaults" or perhaps "European Prepress Defaults",
before  re-checking the color on my screen?  All three have RGB
default set at "Adobe RGB 1998".

And if it's not too much trouble, can you explain how I would do what
you said in the quote below. Is there some file I should use that is
has standard known values?  Perhaps a Photoshop color palette?

Many thanks again. After this job is done, I think I'll give up,
until I have some time to climb the basic learning curve.

-Maaki