[filmscanners] RE: Noise in Polaroid SS 4000 scans

I have this scanner for about 2 years nows. I can remember that I was
very excited to see the results after my LS 1000 broke down. At that
time I also was a bit surprised to see more noise than in the Nikon
scans, but I figured it was 'more details and film grain'. Not a very
good attitude looking back. When I got my new Mac G4 with 17 inch Studio
Display I was surprised to see so much red and green dots in the dark
parts, that was when I got a bit puzzled. But then you think it might be
the sharpness of the display. I also think that when something 'strange'
happens with computers, in most cases it's the person operating them and
wrong settings are the cause of the problems.
I never opened the scanner for cleaning, and never used a dust cover.
One year ago I had the 'continuous focussing or was it ejecting' error
and it was send to Tech Support in the Netherlands. I sent a CD with a
scan with the question if this noise level was normal behavior, they
said it was. So I just lived with it. But lately I feel that I am not
comfortable with it, also because I want to know if there is something
wrong with my workflow.
I scanned at 4000 dpi and this indeed seems less noisy, and more grainy,
although noise remains. If so, then the combination of de Fuji NPS 160
and my lab might be less then optimal, because I feel such a big grain
is not normal for 160 film.  I use a one hour lab to process the films,
that might cause a problem. And it might be the combination of film and
the scanner of course.
I am a bit surprised to see that the opinions are so different, grain
versus noise.
What can I do to make a more definite test? Make scans at 4000 dpi and
put them on the page? That would mean even more bandwith.

Harry