[filmscanners] RE: Re:digitising slides

> From: Op's
>
> has anyone done a comparison on copying a slide with a digital camera
> say Nikon D100 60mm macro lens (6Mp 17M tiff file) with scanning it to a
> file with a film scanner?
>
> I was thinking of putting all my old slides to CD and a film scanner
> would take too long
>
> has anyone used this method and how do the results compare?

I've never tried photographing slides with a digicam, but given that a film
scanner uses a linear sensor while a camera uses a 2D sensor with Bayer
interpolation, the camera is bound to do an inferior job. The noise level
will also be much higher in the digicam--they typically only have about six
bits of S/N ratio.

However, my experience is that scanning large numbers of slides without
automated equipment isn't worth doing, unless you're in prison and your time
isn't worth anything. ;-)

My advice is to either to scan only those slides you actually want to print,
or pay someone else to scan your slides with automated equipment. I've had
reasonably good results on most images with Kodak PhotoCDs (not PictureCDs).

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco