[filmscanners] Re: keeping the 16bit scans

Sorry to bring this to the forefront of this discussion, but we are all
talking through our hats.

Perhaps someone has documented how turning a hard drive on and off
alters its failure rate, relative to keeping it one continually...  but
I haven't seen it.  I'm sure each drive is different, dependent upon its
size, mass, design, the constancy of the electrical current, the power
supply, the temperature of the drive, ventilation, plane it is used in,
bearing type, balance specs, etc, etc.

It would seem logically, that the more time that lapses where the drive
is not in use, the less effect the single on/off cycle has.  As an
example, if I only use the drive once a month, I suspect the wear on the
drive from running it for that month versus using it for a few hours
once a month, would be different that if I was turning it on 4 times a
day for 30 minutes at a time.

I am convinced that spin down on a regular "energy saving" basis using a
"time without use" basis while the computer is on is detrimental to most
hard drives, and I have stopped this function on my system.

I even wonder how much energy is saved under those conditions.

However, I do turn my system off when it is going to be left unused for
several hours, and whether it saves the hard drive or not, it certainly
saves energy.

Art