[filmscanners] RE: keeping the 16bit scans

As I have said, much of this is basically personal choices and trade-offs.
The key problem with discussions like this is that it is often the case - as
it is now - that one party is talking at a general level while the other is
talking on a very specific personal level.  There is an ecological fallacy
that takes place when one attempts to generalize based on individual cases
or very small samples such as a few people's personal experiences just as
there is when one attempts to refute a generalization by citing individual
counter-examples.  When I say that turning a HD on and off has a negative
effect in terms of wear and tear similar to that which might take place if
one left the HD on all the time, I am speaking on the average and not to any
particular individual case.  Unless, you are prepared to say that turning a
HD on and off does not contribute to its wear and tear, the fact that you
personally only do so once a week is sort of irrelevant as a refutation of
my point. If you backed up or archived once a day every day, woulod you
still be able to clain that the wear and tear of turning the drive on and
off is less than keeping it on all the time during that week?

I think that the electricity use and savings as well as differences in
electric bills is probably not really that significant in most cases for
most people; but that is a different argument than the wear and tear
argument.  That you trun your system off every night is probably the
governing factor which would justify turning off the HD since there is no
point to leaving the HD running if the system it is connected to is turned
off.

In short, your work patterns and beliefs make you confortable with turning
on or unplugging your external hard drive when you want to use it and
turning it off or unplugging it when you are done.  I cannot argue with
that,  I cannot convince you that the justifications you offer may not be
true, or if they are they may not be significant, or they may be true but
result in generating things which may have an equally negative effect.  All
I can do is point out that in general there are equally valid justifications
for other forms of behavior that others offer and believe in which suggest
that alternative work patterns may be equally effective.