[filmscanners] Re: keeping the 16bit scans; now=HD longevity OT

I just did a very quick Google search.  These are called both liquid and
fluid bearings, fluid being more accurate, since sometimes air can be
used (not in hard drives (yet), but in other applications.)

Anyway, without providing proper attribution (please forgive me)...

Here are two explanations of the concept.  The second actually comes
from a magazine, I believe it is EETimes, the first part is a small
except from an article from I believe Extreme Technology, on quieting
your PC:

===================

  Liquid, or fluid, "bearings" aren't bearings at all, in the
traditional sense. The term refers to a micro thin layer of liquid
lubricant which is sealed between the rotor and the shaft of the drive
motor. The lack of actual ball bearings creates less vibration, the
liquid absorbs shock better, and, of course, it transmits less sound.
===============
  In fluid bearings, oil replaces steel ball bearings, which have become
a headache for drive designers as track density and rotational rates
increase. When metal bearings rub on a metal motor shaft, vibration is a
key issue. Moreover, bearings are sensitive to shock and their friction
causes wear that affects long-term reliability. Analysts predict that
other drive makers will also switch from bearing motors.

"This has to happen between now and the turn of the century," said
Dennis Waid, president of Peripheral Research (Santa Barbara, Calif.).
"Everyone is pushing for higher spindle speeds, like the 14,400-rpm
programs some people have started. You can't do 14,400 rpm with bearing
motors. I think we'll see a lot more of this to decrease noise, improve
shock resistance and avoid non-repetitive runout."

That last problem describes the tendency of a disk's outer edges to
vibrate when the platters spin. As tracks move closer together to
increase capacity, this vibration makes it tougher to position the head
on the desired track. Fluid motors can reduce vibration to about 0.5
microinch, against a 5-microinch movement for most bearing motors, Waid
said.

Seagate technicians called non-repetitive runout a key problem that
drove them to fluid bearings. But they noted that fluid bearings also
bring other, sometimes-subtle benefits, including decreased vibration,
quieter operation and improved shock resistance.

"Fluid-bearing motors have three to five times better shock absorption
than any bearing motor," said Hans Leuthold, senior director of the
motor group. "They will also let us increase our factory yields. Drives
are very delicate, and this technology is much less sensitive than
bearing motors."

The rise in rotational speed is another obvious benefit. The motors draw
no more power than ball-bearing ones, Seagate said, so they won't add
heat. And the fluid can be used at much higher speeds.

"Every fluid-bearing motor performs better as spindle speed rises,"
Heine said. "Going to 10,000, 12,000 or 14,000 rpm is easier if you use
fluid bearings. Before the end of the year, we expect to have prototypes
of faster [than 7,200-rpm] motors running."