[filmscanners] RE: keeping the 16bit scans

> From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
> >> I hadn't thought about the need for a crop, so that's one good reason
> >> keep 16bit files.
>
> > What does bit depth (16 bits) have to do with cropping?  I missed the
> reasoning behind that...
>
> I'm not sure!  :-)   I guess I trhought (from another post) that if you
> chose a small crop and created a new image from it, then did further
> corrections, etc. (maybe even upsizing) that an original 16bit is better
> than 8bit?  Feel free to correct me!

Hi Ed,

Certainly if you are going to do "major" (what ever that means) tonal
corrections, yes...but I'm skeptical that you will do any significant ones
from just cropping.  Upsizing shouldn't warrant any tonal corrections just
because of the upsize, but of course, that depends on how good you did the
tonal corrections in the first place.

I guess I wouldn't normally suspect you would do anything major just because
you cropped, but that certainly is a judgment call.  Typically, cropping is
just re-composition, and is really cropping a very small portion of the
image, and therefore there wouldn't, for me, be any tonal corrections,
unless I didn't get them right in the first place.

Regards,

Austin