[filmscanners] RE: Repeated "Tonal correction", is it god?

Ramesh writes ...

> shAf writes ...

> > No ... the reason is why you scanned into 16bits.
>
> >  Again no ... assuming 16bits again.  If 8bit channels, then yes, you'd
> >want to get all tonal adjustments correct (as possible) with the scan
> >software.  However, I doubt anyone will notice a minor post-scan
> adj't with PS.
>
> I am not able to clearly understand how that is related  to bits/channel.
> Could you please explain this?
>
> Are you implying the following..
> Because there is no extra to data to play with in case of
> 8bit/channel, its good to do pre-scanning correction.

  Yes ... generally the scanner software has access to higher bit precision.

> In case of 16bit/channel, there will be more data, so we can
> afford to waste data during post-scan correction; thus no need to
> do pre-scan adjustments.

  Yes ... if you save the higher bit precision, then PS can adjust it, and
it is no different than using the scanner software (and PS provides better
tools)

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)