[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-4000ED Depth of Field Revisited

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 03:29:24PM +1000, robg@wordweb.com wrote:
> golder@netzero.com wrote:
> >Didn't find much difference btwn the auto strip feeder and the manual strip
> >holder when it came to total focus plane variation on the same piece of
> film.
> > They were quite close, but the autostrip feeder actually proved a little
> >bit better at a delta of 16 nikon units vs. 21 nikon units for the manual
> >holder.
>
> Is the auto strip feeder in the LS4000 significantly different in design
> to the LS30/2000?  I stopped using it when I found out that strips tended
> to curl in the machine, and the frames at the end of a neg strip ended up
> horribly out of focus on one side.  It worked ok on frames in the middle
> of a strip.

There is no great modification which ensures the film says perfectly flat
so this is can still be a problem with the outermost edge of the outermost
frame of a strip but it depends upon how much curl the film has at the edge
in the first place. I have terrible problems with Tri-X but other emulsions
that are flatter like XP2 and many of the thinner based films do not present
any problems. Only solution I've found is to cut the last neg and place it
in a glass mount if sharpness across the entire frame is needed.

--
Tony Terlecki
ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk