[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-4000ED Depth of Field Revisited

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-4000ED Depth of Field Revisited
  • From: "" <golder@netzero.com>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 07:37:39 GMT

Julian,

I went back and used your methodology described below to determine the critical
focus range of my LS4000 and my results seem to be generally what you thought
they might be.

Namely, critical focus is still intact at -5/+5 Nikon Units from focal point
(0).  Somewhere between -5/5 and -10/10 it softens enough to remain within
acceptable focus, but by -10/10 it seems to be clearly out of critical focus.
By -15/15 the focal shift is significant.  However, one caveat:  all my above
determinations are being made when viewing a very small portion of the total
24mm x 36mm image and at a highly magnified view.

Given this, I am still hard pressed to say what would really appear as out of
critical focus when the total image has been printed, at lets say 8x10, 11x14,
16x20, and viewed in total.  Tough to say.  A bit of a slippery slope, really.

However, if one is going for the most pristine, most ideal scan and one wants
to make sure that even a small selection of the total image is printed at a
decent size, I would imagine one would want film curl not to range outside of
the -5/5 range if possible and definitely not outside the -10/10 range.

To this end, I have been considering using the slide mounts with Anti-Newton
glass as quite a few posters have mentioned previously.  However, results
appear mixed.  Some say it works very nicely for them, keeping film flatness
within a 0-3 Nikon Unit range w/o any loss of image clarity and sharpness.
Yet, others seem to indicate this is not the case at all, claiming that the
scanner even picks up the diffused patterns characteristic of the AN glass.

What have your findings been in this area?  I would be very interested to hear.

Lastly, I would like to post my DOF test results as they relate to the FH-3
manual strip holder vs. the SA-21 auto strip feeder.  And here, I'm afraid my
findings still tend to stand out as anomalous.

The reason here being that I pretty clearly got better DOF results (in direct
enlargement to enlargement comparisons) with the SA-21 Auto Strip Feeder than
with the FH-3 Manual Strip Holder.

I ran the tests on 2 different images: one was on the inside of a film strip
and the other was on the end of the strip.  Each one was scanned with the SA-21
and the FH-3 adapters (in both the LS4000 UPRIGHT and SIDE orientations) and
then compared at various view sizes and at various DOF settings.

Here is the side by side breakdown of the results (granted, this is ultimately
a subjective determination):

INSIDE IMAGE:

At Focal Point (0): SA21 sharper than FH3
(Side and Upright about the same sharpness; Side perhaps a little sharper).

At (+5): SA21 sharper than FH3
(Side clearly sharper than Upright).

At (-5): SA21 sharper than FH3
(Upright now sharper than Side).

At (+10): SA21 sharper than FH3
(Side especially sharper; Upright closer to FH3)

At (-10): SA21 sharper than FH3
(especially Upright; Side better than FH3, but not as sharp as Upright)

SA21 sharper than FH3 at all dofs. Side and Upright alternate; Side sharper at
focal point and points above; Upright sharper at points below focal point.

OUTSIDE IMAGE:

At Focal Pt (0): FH3 a little sharper than SA21 in some places.

At (+5): SA21 becomes a little sharper than FH3 in some places, otherwise even.

At (-5): FH3 clearly sharper than SA21
(except at lower left corner)

At (+10): SA21 clearly sharper than FH3
(except  at lower left corner)

At (-10): FH3 clearly sharper than SA21
(except  at lower left corner)

at points above, while SA21 sharper at points below focal pt.

Regards,

Derek