[filmscanners] ADMIN : Digital camera topics on this list (was: Canon

Frank Paris wrote:

> I don't think that's a correct analogy. Digicams are a timely and
> pointed encroachment on film scanning. I can't believe that the nature
> and urgency of that encroachment is not of great interest to the
> majority of members on this list.

We'd all be fools if we ignored digicams, since film is now well on the way
to becoming a minority sport. I'm trying to find some way to afford an
EOS1DS without my wife finding out <g>. I might then get around to
doing a review which answers questions I have which are addressed by none
of the reviews I've seen. But there are many lists and web forums which
already exist for the purpose of digicam speak. Prodig is the obvious
choice (www.prodig.org), not least because many there are, or have been,
contributors to this list.

However prodig is high-volume and wide ranging. An overwhelming problem
with the net is fragmentation vs. volume : get too many people talking and
it becomes unmanageable, not enough and it's worthless. So there's a case
either way.

Well, despite appearances, this isn't a democracy :)  Sure, it's the nature
of online discourse to wander OT, and generally I take a relaxed view, at
least until threads become esoterically boring or bad tempered. So as far
as I am concerned occasional diversions into digicam (or printer, or CDR,
or whatever-vaguely-related) is acceptable. Anyone who doesn't like such
occasional OT threads can ignore them. So the list charter stands : this
list is for discussing filmscanners, if only because that focus is
what makes the list useful and enables people to know what to expect.

What I will say, though, is that if enough people feel it's a good idea, I
will set up another list for yattering about digicams. Please DON'T clog up
this list with for-and-against traffic, mail me directly,
mailto:tonysleep@halftone.co.uk with a subject line DIGICAM LIST.

There is another possibility, which is a web-based board, with email
notification of thread replies. I have been considering closing this list
in favour of such a system for a while. It has distinct advantages and
disadvantages.

On the positive side, HTML, embedded example images etc, decent
threading, resumes and archiving all become possible, and the whole thing
is safer from spammers.

Additionally, discussion topics can be finely granulated - so it's possible
to pick and mix acording to interest, eg if not interested in Vuescan
yatter, stay out of that one. There would then be no reason not to create a
digicam area, or inkjet area, since nobody has to wade through them, unlike
email pushed at them.

The downside is that it requires much more effort to participate, and the
relative isolation of topics prevents much cross pollination, stuff that
just crops up and turns out to be valuable info. that none of us knew we
needed to know.

Again, if you have views about this, please email me directly  -
mailto:tonysleep@halftone.co.uk with WEB BBS as the subject line.

Please keep these emails separate, one for/against a DIGICAM LIST, another
for/against a WEB BBS, as I'll later post 2  digests to this list.

If there's support for both, I'll initially set up a Web BBS on digicams as
a live test, to see how useful and workable it is.  But please, don't
discuss these issues here, on list -  it just isn't fair to a majority who
are here for filmscanner discussion.

My personal choice would be full mail-list and web BBS integration, so it's
entirely up to the participant which interface they use. But I have looked
into this and it simply isn't properly and reliably achievable without
spending lots of money. So don't ask :)

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk
Online portfolio & exhibit + film scanner info & comparisons