[filmscanners] Re: Digital camera topics on this list

My suggestion was that we allow "comparative and evaluation discussion of
digicam topics".  That is, discussion of digicam technology compared with,
and related to, scanning.  I was not saying this should be a digicam
list.  There are a zillion topics re digicams that have no relevance to a
transition from or comparison with scanners. My point was that the people
on THIS list have the best knowledge for evaluating parameters that are of
interest in deciding whether or when to "go digicam", or how digicams might
coexist with scanning for some of us, or whether digicams are better or
worse for our purposes than scanned film.

This would not be resolved by starting yet another list.

Of course "if people lose interest in film scanning, and become
purely digital photographers, then at that point they should unsubscribe
from this list, and stick to those lists that are about digicams."

Once again - I was not suggesting that this now become a digital camera
list.  I was suggesting that we allow discussion of digicam technology that
is relevant to us.

Julian

At 16:39 05/02/03, you wrote:
> > From: Julian Robinson
> >
> > So my vote is that we allow comparative and evaluative discussion of
> > digital camera topics, including the capabilities and limitations of
> > digital cameras, for as long as it remains an issue.  After that I am sure
> > this list will either naturally become a digital camera and scanning group
> > (i.e. digital darkroom) or move towards what will then be a minority
> > interest group specifically devoted to the then arcane-but-interesting
> > business of scanning.  Either is valid and obviously Tony as list owner
> > will have the last word, but it seems silly to rule out what is currently
> > one of the most interesting aspects of scanning - it's possible
> > alternative.
>
>Cyberspace is full of mailing lists, and if there aren't enough, you can
>easily create your own for free using the facilities of Yahoo. If people on
>this list are becoming more and more interested in digital photography, then
>they might mention the digicam lists that they like, and invite people to
>join. In the end, if people lose interest in film scanning, and become
>purely digital photographers, then at that point they should unsubscribe
>from this list, and stick to those lists that are about digicams.
>
>This list is called "filmscanners". It wouldn't make sense for it to become
>a digicam list without at least having its name changed, at which point it
>would become a different list anyway. So although I'll probably be one of
>those people who eventually abandon film scanning, I hope this list remains
>"devoted to the then arcane-but-interesting business of scanning."
>
>--
>
>Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
>Paul                mailto:pderocco@ix.netcom.com

>or body

Julian
Canberra, Australia

Satellite maps of fire situation Canberra and Snowy Montains
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~julian/cbfires/fires.htm