[filmscanners] RE: Canon IDs vs Pentax 67II

Hi Jim,

> You may apply curves to scanned film and get the
> same results. I don't and can't. The custom white balance provides a
> much better starting point for me for the corrections I make in photoshop.

You can set profiles up (at least in my software) that you can load that
puts you to some "default" state.  It's really the same as "film profiles"
that some scanner drivers use.

> When you make the assertion  that  digital cameras have 'virtually
> no resale value' you have uncustomarily failed to do the math.
> I see D60's selling for ~ $2K on Ebay and D30's going for ~ $1K.

I have done the math many times...as I've been dealing with digital imaging
for a lot longer than most.  I can get far more for my film cameras as far
as return, than I can for my digital ones, it's just plain fact.  And, the
film cameras go down to a point, and stop going down, but the digital ones
keep on going down.

The D30 went for how much new (depending on when you bought it)?  $3,500?
Now it's $1k?  You also need other storage and batteries, which plummet in
value over a months timeframe!  I'd bet the D30 settles around the $500 mark
or less, and problem with it is, it'll soon cost more to fix than it costs
to buy!  That is not true with film cameras.

One mid level digital camera I bought was a Fuji FinePix 4700, for
$699...price of any decent 35mm camera, some three years ago.  It now sells
for under $300.  My Ricoh RDC-2 was over $500 some 5-6 years ago, and now
they are under $100.  They are more or less disposable.  I have a high end
digital scanning back that's still holding it's value, as nothing else has
come out that's better, but my one shot back is about %25 of initial value.
My other studio scanning camera is worth about $350, and it cost over $5k
when new.  I have NO film cameras that have depreciated near this.

> I'm in a filmscanner mailing list because I have an SS4000 and when
> the perverse urge strikes, every now and then, I scan a bit of film.
> It reminds me of what a PITA some aspects of a digital workflow
> can be.

I don't understand that statement at all.  After you get the scan, the
digital workflow is the same for scanned film or digital camera, providing
you set the scan up correctly in the scan driver.

Regards,

Austin