[filmscanners] Re: Color Management System and NikonScan 3.1.2(PC)

>In NikonScan, the best results I see come with Colour Management on,
>using "Scanner RGB."  This is their widest gamut setting for PC.
>Apparently, if I were to turn CMS off, it defaults to the Windows RGB
>standard (ICM?).  When PS7 opens these files, the "profile mismatch"
>dialog comes up and I opt to discard the profile.

If I did get the whole thing correctly, this might be equivalent to disable
CMS.

>Can anyone explain if this is a problem and what a better solution might
>be?

Not sure at all if my workflow is "better". I did build a specific profile
for my LS4000 using freeware (LittleCMS) and the Kodak IT8 target. I do all
my scans at 14 bit depth with Nikon CMS disabled. When opening the file in
Photoshop I just apply that custom scanner profile and convert to my
standard working space (Adobe1998 RGB).
This produces kind of satisfactory color balance to me, quite similar to
what I needed VueScan to achieve before setting up this protocol. However,
different situations, film and scanning resolutions would probably need
different profiling even with the very same scanner unit.

Roger Eritja
www.eritja.com